Tuesday, October 28, 2008

My Carlo

My beautiful, darling Carlo. I never thought that I would ever stand and speak at your memorial service, especially not at our age, but here I am. I am going to speak for you because you were so strong and brave and I know that you would’ve spoken for me, had it been me that had left.

18 ½ years ago, I met and started to love you. We grew together, travelling this road called life. You have given and taught me so, so much and I can’t fit it all into what I’m going to say today.

You are my hero, my inspiration. You were my best friend for almost two decades. You were the most stable, consistent and largest part of my life. I love you with all my heart and soul. I respect you…….I love you endlessly.

When I think of you, I think of your big, beaming smile. Your witty sense of humour, your laugh and the way your eyes crinkled at the sides when you laughed. You made me laugh so many times……you made me happy. You were so funny at times and I will never, ever forget the years of side-splitting funny moments that we shared. Thank you for teaching me to laugh at myself and see the funny side of so many things.

Our love started as teenagers and grew and matured, though the army, jobs, marriage, children, school activities, bonds, groceries and the list goes on. We were partners in every way my Carlo. Life partners and we were on the same side. I am going to miss having you in my corner my babe.

You have given me three beautiful and perfect gifts in Megan, Shannon and Connor. Your legacy lives on in each of them. In Megan, her wise little ways and her fierce interest in History and Geography and sport, her total sense of right and wrong. In Shannon, with her hysterical little sense of humour and her physical resemblance to you. The fact that her laid-back forgetfulness and attitude used to drive you nuts sometimes was always funny to me because that little apple didn’t fall far from the tree! Both of your little girls have your intense caring and kind nature. And then your little man…..you got your boy my babes and he’s your little double. I know that you will be standing behind me helping me to raise that little bundle of energy. You have instilled such beautiful values and ideals in your girls and those will carry your girls successfully.

I will not raise our children alone, my Carlo, because I know that you will be with me along the way. You were too big in life and left such a huge footprint here, for your legacy to ever be forgotten.

Although my heart is broken in a million pieces and my soul feels as though it has been ripped in two….if I had to make the choice of having you in my life for those 18 ½ years again and losing you again and going through this again as opposed to never having been blessed with you in my life at all, I would choose this pain again. I am who I am today, because of you my wonderful, amazing Carlo.

Thank you God for lending us all Carlo and letting us be part of his wonderful laughter-filled journey. If part of his journey was to make people smile and feel good, I would say he achieved that.

Dawn, thank you for having Carlo, moulding him into who he was and letting me love him with all my heart. Pat, your unwavering love and care for Carlo, meant more to him than you will ever know. Thank you for being his Dad. Wesley and Jackie, your brother loved you both so much and even though time and circumstances weren’t always favourable to you spending a lot of time together, he was still proudly and protectively your big boet. So, my family-in-law, Carlo’s children and I will still be a huge part of your lives because we love you all too.

When my dad died, Carlo, you were the protective pillar of strength for my Mom, Megan, Shannon and I. You carried us through that time of hurt, pain and loss. Thank you my babe. You were my Mom’s son too and she loves you as a son. You called her your other mother.

My Carlo, thank you for loving me and teaching me so much. ‘til we meet again my babe……Good bye and I love you, Diane

No comments: